Sunday, June 30, 2013

Banana with 1/2 Blueberry Muffins

I have tried making a lot of "healthy" muffin recipes and they're usually bland. I end up throwing them away after 2 bites. My son (who eats anything) wouldn't even eat them. Thankfully, my search ended after last nights batch. I took Martha Stewarts recipe for "Healthy Banana-Blueberry Muffins" and adapted it just a little bit to make it my own. I took out the word "healthy" (BUT, they are still healthy) and I added 1/2 in front of the blueberry because my son, who I previously said eats anything actually doesn't and he prefers raw blueberries:)

Banana with 1/2 Blueberry Muffins

1 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat germ (I didn't have any so I made it without this)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 ripe bananas
1/3 cup low-fat milk (can use any milk you'd like)
1/2 tsp honey
1tsp vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries - It's one cup if you put blueberries in all of the batter.

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. (This batch actually made more so I put extra batter in a mini-muffin tin)
2. Whisk together flours, wheat germ, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
3. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars together with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each egg. In another bowl, mash bananas with a fork; stir in milk, vanilla, and honey.
4. With mixer on low, alternately add flour mix and banana mix to the butter mixture; starting and ending with the flour.
5. If you want to do half with blueberries and half without, pour half of the batter into the paper liners before you fold in the blueberries to the rest of the batter.
6. Cook 20-30 minutes.

YUM!

No comments :

Post a Comment